Well, we got here (Oregon, that is) a couple of days ago but boy was it a rough ride. My usually excellent traveler turned into a little nightmare. But that's my fault... I didn't do well timing things out and I ended up with an overtired toddler who just wanted to get home, eat and sleep.
We started out pretty good... Isla fell asleep while at the airport in Green Bay and I was able to board and get Maja situated in her carseat all while she snoozed away on my chest. She continued sleeping pretty much the entire flight in the carrier :)
Our layover in Minneapolis was really long... almost 3 hours but Maja loved looking at planes
and Isla enjoyed wiggling on her blanket
I should have known the next flight won't be so great when I missed the priority boarding call (they let little kids board first) and ended up having to get in pretty much last.
At first everything seemed all right
but I guess we entered some sort of Midwest equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle when Maja decided she had enough. She started screaming and nothing would make her happy. I even offered I'd take her out of her carseat (and she NEVER gets out of her carseat during a flight, even when we went to Europe--- diaper changes excluded). Nothing worked. No pretzels, no toys, no pacifier... nothing. She kept yelling "all done, all done"
Isla began to loose her patience as well and she joined in the scream fest off and on. The comforting part of it was that most people directly around her their own little kids home so she understood and offered to help. And there was a little girl right behind me so I was secretly hoping some of the people further away from us would think she is "that kid"
We finally landed in Portland which made her happy for a little while but she was less than amused when we stuck her back in the carseat in Grandma's car... the ride home took about an hour but at least there was something to look at out the window. Isla acted kind of stoned in her car seat... she was so tired that I think she was just a tad out of it. She stared me down with this drugged smile on and finally fell asleep.
Eventually we made it to Grandma's house and Maja was able to get some blueberries, cheese and milk. Doesn't she look exhausted?
She had a little trouble falling asleep in a different bed but I figured out all she needed was the light on.
Finally the day came to an end





No comments:
Post a Comment