Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Big milestone for Isla

My thoughts on potty training has always been that there shouldn't be any "training". It's too time consuming and stressful for both parent and child, not to mention the gross factor that comes with public restrooms so I am perfectly ok with my children being in diapers longer than the average kid. It should be a simple experience... as in "you're old enough now, you get it, here's the toilet"
So I never bothered with either of the girls until preschool came into the picture. Maja had to be potty trained so we had no choice. I knew she had been ready for a while but again, without an actual "push" I never bothered. Then one day, I realized we were just 3 short weeks away from the first day of school and I went for it. I put her in undies, explained what was going to happen and made sure I took her to the bathroom often enough. The first day was a bit of a challenge only because she seemed to be just a few seconds behind. She'd tell me she needed to go but by the time we got to the toilet, she'd go in her pants. No biggie. The next way she was perfect and with the exception for a minor regression after school started she has been day potty trained since (she still uses a diaper to sleep)

Well, when Isla saw all this she decided she wanted to use the potty too. I resisted at first but one day I gave in just because she was really excited. As I expected, she wasn't quite there yet so back to diapers we went.
Recently she started asking to go on the potty again (she sees Maja do it all the time and she knows there is candy to be had afterwords!) and tonight I let her sit on it and she peed!! and it was definitely a deliberate action on her part so who knows... maybe she is ready now? we will see

No comments: