I've been lucky enough to witness the awesome results of signing with your baby when nannying other kids so we are doing that with Maja.
I try to sign anything I know as we speak to her and we are starting to see it work. Jeff saw it first.... she signed "nurse" as we were getting ready for bed, she was upset because she wanted to nurse and I was asking her if she wanted to do that.
A couple of days later I caught it too and since then, I saw it one more time.
It's so cool knowing that there's a way for her to communicate with us before she is able to speak.
For the skeptical out there, signing does not delay speech in any way :). Children do not get "lazy" and choose to sign over speech. In fact, especially if you're raising a bilingual child, it helps having the same sign for a word that is spoken differently depending on which language you use.
If you're considering it, check out signingtime.com. Those DVDs are great. You can also find lots of picture books with the majority of the basics signs at any book store that has a Children's Section.
We don't have any since I know enough signs for now but I've used the DVDs and several books to learn in the past.
No comments:
Post a Comment