Sunday, January 23, 2011

Yeah... not ready

We know the end of the paci era is coming soon for Maja. For now she only takes it to sleep and usually only just to fall asleep and later spits it out but it still needs to go away for good.

Last night I decided to test the waters. I told her that all her pacis were dirty and she could have one the next day. Surprisingly she seemed somewhat ok with it since she only asked to have a couple of times but having her mouth not occupied with something, she attempted every single stalling technique she could think of:

"Mommy, I need more kisses"
"Mommy, I need a tissue"
"Mommyyyyyyy"
"I want to sleep in Mommy's bed"

and more.

Eventually she started melting down... still not asking for the paci but very unhappy that I would put her back in her bed. I tried a few different approaches and learned that Maja does not handle well the whole "put her back in bed without saying a word" thing. She didn't like that one bit. The fact that I was not talking to her put her over the edge so I shifted gears.

I put her in my bed and called it a night.

We did have a bit of a rough patch later on when I tried moving her to her own bed after she fell asleep. She still never asked for a paci but she wasn't happy that I expected her to be in her room. Finally I had another little talk and that's when she asked me to rub her head and sing the "I love you baby" song, a little something I made up and have been singing to her every since she was itty bitty baby.
Eventually she calmed down enough and I was able to leave. I'm still surprised Isla never woke up though... she was right next door and Maja got quite loud.

In the end she did spend the whole night without her paci but I don't think it was worth it. I learned a few better ways of doing it for when we are ready to take it away for good but I think for now things are fine the way they are. Maybe after we move into the new house I'll think about it again.

No comments: